10 Ways to Prevent Sewer Blockages
Sewer lines are a critical part of the infrastructure of any city or town. They are responsible for maintaining the sewer lines that run beneath the streets and carry away wastewater and sewage. Keeping these lines clear and free of blockages is important to avoid sewage backups and bad odors .
When these lines become clogged, it can cause serious problems for homeowners and businesses. Sewage backups can occur, leading to costly cleanup and repair bills. In addition, bad odors can permeate homes and businesses, making them uninhabitable. Several things can cause sewer lines to become blocked, including grease, hair, soap scum, and tree roots. However, there are a few simple steps that homeowners and businesses can take to prevent these blockages from occurring.
- Use strainers in all drains. This will catch hair, soap scum, and other debris before it has a chance to enter the sewer lines. It is important to clean these strainers regularly to prevent them from becoming clogged.
- Avoid putting grease and oil down the drain. These can solidify in the sewer lines and cause blockages. If you must dispose of grease and oil, pour it into a container and put it in the trash. It is best to avoid putting it down the drain at all.
- Be careful what you flush down the toilet. Avoid flushing anything other than human waste and toilet paper. Feminine hygiene products, baby wipes, and paper towels should not be flushed as they can cause blockages.
- Do not plant trees or shrubs near the sewer lines. The roots of these plants can grow into the sewer lines and cause blockages. If you must plant trees or shrubs near the sewer lines, be sure to choose species that have shallow root systems.
- Have your sewer lines cleaned regularly. This will remove any buildup that could cause a blockage. It is best to have this done by a professional who has the proper equipment. There are a number of companies that offer sewer line cleaning in Salt Lake City and other cities all over the country.
- Install backwater valves. These valves will prevent sewage from flowing back into your home or business in the event of a blockage. Only a professional should install these valves.
- Repair any cracks or leaks in the sewer lines. These can allow water to enter the sewer lines and cause blockages. It is best to have these repaired by a professional. The sooner they are repaired, the less likely it is that a blockage will occur.
- Have your septic tank pumped regularly. This will remove any sludge or buildup that could cause a blockage. It is best to have this done by a professional who has the proper equipment. If you do this on your own, be sure to follow all safety precautions.
- Use enzymes or bacteria to break down grease, hair, and other debris. These can be added to the drains on a regular basis to keep the sewer lines clear. They are available at most hardware stores. The best way to use them is to follow the instructions on the package.
- Call a professional if you have any concerns. If you are unsure of anything, it is always best to call a professional. They will be able to properly assess the situation and make sure that everything is taken care of.
Now that you know a few ways to prevent sewer line blockages, put them into practice. This will help keep your home or business free of sewage backups and bad odors. If you have any concerns, be sure to call a professional. They will be able to properly assess the situation and make sure that everything is taken care of.
Do you have questions about sewer line blockages? Share them with us in the comments below! We’re happy to help!