At present’s Home-owner Radio Podcast | September 17, 2022
In Hour 1, hear forestall wasps from swarming round fruit bushes, ideas for cooling off a scorching attic and extra.
Controlling Wasps Round Fruit Timber
Wasps are swarming across the apple and pear bushes in Valerie’s entrance yard.
“Every fallen fruit attracts about 5 or extra wasps, such that I can’t (nicely, I don’t WANT to) contact the fruit to maneuver it away to chop my grass,” she says.
Valerie needs to know: “What time of day ought to I decide up the fruit?”
Wasps, in addition to bees, are drawn to the sugar in rotten fruit.
Don’t spray any poison across the bushes as a result of it received’t simply kill the wasps —it’s going to additionally kill honey bees, treasured pollinators which are dying at an alarming rate.
Sadly, there’s not a lot you are able to do, aside from:
- Choose the fruit as quickly because it’s ripe.
- Don’t let it fall to the bottom. We all know it’s unattainable to stop each fruit from touchdown within the dust however test on the bushes regularly.
- Rake up the fruit on the bottom with a long-handled rake to keep away from any stings.
Bees and wasps aren’t as lively at night time or very early within the morning, so decide up the fallen fruit then.
For extra ideas, learn How to Deal with Wasps in Your Lawn.
Cooling Off a Renovated Attic
Leslie Trippe’s 1953 residence in Huntsville, Ala., has a completed attic house with two bedrooms and a rest room.
The ceilings are solely seven ft tall and angled within the bedrooms, plus there’s no additional house in between the drywall and the roof.
“When the wall or ceiling is touched the warmth might be felt coming by means of the drywall. We at present use transportable air conditioners to maintain the house cooler. Is there a method to cool off this house?” she asks.
This can be a quite common downside in attics which were transformed into residing areas. When persons are slowly renovating their residence, they neglect to take into accounts how scorching the attic can get.
More often than not, it’s virtually unattainable so as to add insulation with out doing a little demolition. Any added insulation within the house between the drywall and the roof will assist.
See if any contractors in your space do blow-in cellulose insulation. It’s a mixture of wooden or paper-based merchandise and glue that’s pumped into the cavities behind partitions and ceilings. The contractor would wish to chop a small space of drywall to pump it into the small house, however this will simply be repaired.
In addition to including insulation, name an HVAC skilled and see if they’ll arrange some zoning on your air-con system. This lets you pump extra air-con into sure areas.
You may as well put money into a ductless air conditioner. This has its personal separate system that attaches to the wall.
In Hour 2, hear our ideas on the very best spot for a skylight, retaining water from pooling on a patio, and extra.
The Finest Spot for a Skylight
A hotline caller needs to make use of skylights for air flow extra so than daylight.
He needs to know: What path ought to the skylights face: north, south, east or west?
There’s loads to contemplate when putting skylights. Begin by asking the place would you like the sunshine on the within.
Then run a plumb line up alongside the ceiling within the attic and see if you happen to run into any valleys or if the sunshine tunnel will probably be exceptionally lengthy.
By way of directional publicity, I don’t suppose that’s an enormous deal to fret about if in case you have a high quality skylight with shade capabilities. Simply make sure that it appears good from the within and doesn’t have an effect on your house’s construction.
In typically instances, individuals don’t put it on the entrance of the home for aesthetic functions. They’re typically positioned on the north-facing roof aircraft as a result of it offers probably the most oblique gentle, so that you received’t get lots of glare or warmth build-up.
For those who stay in a northern local weather, you would possibly wish to place them on the south-facing aspect for some additional heating.
Purchase a glass skylight, not an acrylic one. These can result in water injury and intense warmth in the event that they don’t have the right curving or seamless flashing.
Stopping Pooling Water on a Patio
Fifteen years in the past, Jane Pierce’s husband used a concrete leveler to right a low spot on her patio that was accumulating water.
“It’s held up very nicely till now. It’s cracking and chipping off. How can I repair this?” she asks.
Right here’s repair this:
- Chip away as a lot from the floor as you probably can. You don’t need to be too aggressive with it — simply get all the materials that’s separated from the unique patio.
- Subsequent, get some Quikrete ReCap Concrete Resurfacer. Use Quikrete’s Concrete Calculator to find out what number of baggage you’ll want.
- Then, combine it in response to the instructions on the bundle and pour it onto your patio.
- Use a big rubber squeegee (a couple of foot to 16 inches huge) to unfold the combo. Cowl your entire patio to make sure it’s degree.
- Earlier than it dries, drag a brush throughout it so as to add some texture for a slip-resistant floor
- Now, you’ve gotten a patio that appears model new!
Fixing a Caught Deadbolt
How do you repair a deadbolt that’s caught within the locked place? That’s what Marlene Lauer in Neenah, Wisconsin, needs to know.
She says, “We eliminated the doorknob, however couldn’t transfer any of the components to slip the bolt. We tried to take the door off and that didn’t work. My son needs to noticed by means of the bolt. Is that our solely possibility?”
Often, a small piece contained in the doorknob has damaged and is lodged inside, retaining it locked.
Use a hammer to faucet a screwdriver or nail punch to the appropriate and left contained in the keyhole to loosen the jammed half. Then, strive tapping the screwdriver a bit with a hammer to loosen what’s caught inside.
If this doesn’t repair it, name a locksmith.
Finest New Merchandise
|Lutron’s Dimmer Swap Starter Package provides your house lighting a wise improve, with out competing for a sign with different gadgets. Learn more >>|
Simple Overhead Storage — Right here’s make an overhead rack in your storage workshop, or shed for storing small-diameter pipe, slim moldings, and even fishing rods.
- Minimize two 5-in.-long items from a size of vinyl downspout.
- Then screw the downspout items to an overhead ceiling joist, spacing them about 4 ft aside.
- Now, merely slide moldings and pipes into the brief downspout sections. The components will probably be up and out of the best way, however simply accessible if you want them.
Gluing Tight Cracks — When fixing a break up chair rail, cracked baluster, or comparable object, it’s tough to use glue as a result of the crack is so tight. Do that:
- Wedge open the crack with a small flat-blade screwdriver.
- Then, squeeze in some glue and use a size of dental floss to work the glue deep into the crack.
- Pull out the screwdriver, wipe away the surplus glue and clamp the restore.
Merchandise and Hyperlinks Talked about