Why retired New England Patriots RB James White believes of their new-look offense – New England Patriots Weblog
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Fast-hit ideas and notes across the New England Patriots and NFL:
1. White’s evaluation: Retired Patriots working again James White is contemplating going into sports activities media in his post-playing profession, and he’s already exploring his choices.
“It feels pure. I am used to speaking in entrance of individuals, and I feel that might be the smoothest transition for me,” he mentioned. “Doing a job the place soccer continues to be part of it could be actually cool, as a result of the sport has been part of my life for 25 years.”
White was a visitor analyst for a part of the Patriots’ preseason sport towards the Panthers on Friday evening, which he mentioned was an “superior” expertise. As for his evaluation on the present Patriots group, White shared his ideas with ESPN.com.
On the hot-button subject of assistants Matt Patricia and Joe Choose main the offense regardless of their lack of expertise, White does not see it holding the group again.
“I’ve excessive confidence in it as a result of quite a lot of coaches, particularly right here, they’ve coached on the defensive aspect, the offensive aspect, they coach totally different positions. I feel that is the attractive factor about teaching right here — you are going to study the sport from all totally different angles,” he mentioned.
“And Matt Patricia and Joe Choose, they’ve seen quite a lot of soccer from totally different vantage factors. I feel it should all work out. They’re studying. It is a studying curve for everybody.”
White does discover adjustments within the Patriots’ method (e.g. no extra fullback), though he expects the completed product to largely look much like followers.
“Any time you may have a brand new offensive coordinator coming in, you are going to have some issues which are the identical, some issues which are totally different. It’s important to see what works,” he mentioned.
“I nonetheless assume week to week, they’ll have a distinct method primarily based on the groups they’re enjoying. I feel these guys do a fantastic job designing performs and placing gamers within the place to succeed.”
White acknowledged the change from Josh McDaniels to Patricia and Choose continues to be important and mentioned he sees the Patriots going by means of a course of wherein gamers and coaches are working to realize extra consolation with one another. “That is what the preseason is for — to get these kinks out,” he mentioned.
Of the Patriots’ offensive personnel, which he known as proficient throughout the board, White mentioned he views the receiving corps as extraordinarily underrated.
2. Las Vegas warmth: The Patriots will spend this week in Las Vegas. They’re scheduled to fly there Sunday, follow as a group Monday, after which maintain joint practices with the Raiders on Tuesday and Wednesday earlier than the preseason finale Friday. The forecast requires highs of 103, 105 and 102 to begin the week, which may assist because the group appears forward to its regular-season opener at Miami.
3. Wristbands for QBs: Patriots quarterbacks have been carrying wristbands that embody playcalls throughout practices and preseason video games, which is new and displays the numerous degree of change with the offensive system. So when Patricia or Choose name in a play by its quantity, the quarterbacks then have a look at the wristband for that quantity after which relay the play within the huddle. That is a part of what led to a communication breakdown within the preseason opener when Brian Hoyer burned a timeout.
4. Third-down again: One factor that caught White’s consideration within the Friday preseason sport was how the Patriots did not have a selected participant fill his “passing again” function. The group left Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson and Ty Montgomery on the sector on third down on every of the drives they had been on the sector, which might be a preview of what is to come back within the common season. “I feel that is cool, these guys entering into the circulate of the sport, and getting used to staying out for all three downs,” he mentioned. “I feel these guys are all extraordinarily proficient and may play on all three downs.”
5. Whites in Massachusetts: James and Diana White plan to make Massachusetts their everlasting residence following James’ retirement from soccer. That they had thought of Chicago, however staying near medical doctors who’ve helped with their son, Xzavier, with meals allergic reactions was one issue that led them to stay round. “It is a particular place for us. We now have quite a lot of reminiscences and have been in a position to meet and join with quite a lot of nice folks right here,” James White mentioned.
6. Mills’ motto: When the Patriots’ protection huddles up earlier than a follow, security Adrian Phillips mentioned beginning cornerback Jalen Mills often has the identical message to the unit: “Championship protection. Championship mindset.” Mills mentioned it is his approach of relaying the mentality he believes the Patriots ought to have, and he is backed up his phrases by placing collectively a robust coaching camp. To Phillips, it is a reflection of Mills’ confidence and need “to take the following step and be the man” by filling the void left by J.C. Jackson‘s free agent departure.
7. McCourty’s perception: Patriots captain Devin McCourty‘s perception on rookie cornerbacks Jack Jones (fourth spherical, Arizona State) and Marcus Jones (third spherical, Houston) sparks promise for the group that each can turn out to be key items of the secondary. McCourty mentioned Jack Jones’ “soccer instincts” stand out to him, whereas noting he has “nice toes.” McCourty additionally relayed that Marcus Jones sits subsequent to him in conferences, and his thirst to study exhibits up in how he is already showing in a number of roles, resembling slot cornerback and an inside safety-type function. “We now have a extremely good rookie group,” McCourty mentioned.
8. Schooler-Ebner connection: When former Patriots core special-teamer Nate Ebner (2012-2019) visited follow final week, gamers took word that rookie Brenden Schooler (Texas) made certain to personally introduce himself. Schooler’s particular groups prowess has helped him emerge as a number one candidate to increase the Patriots’ 18-season streak of undrafted free brokers making the preliminary 53-man roster, and gamers see a little bit of Ebner in his play.
9. Thornton damage influence. Patriots rookie receiver Tyquan Thornton was knocked out of Friday evening’s sport with a shoulder/collarbone damage, and is anticipated to be sidelined by means of no less than the primary month of the common season. So the probably situation appears to be that he will likely be on the preliminary 53-man roster earlier than being moved to short-term IR. That might open the door for Lil’Jordan Humphrey, the group’s main receiver within the preseason (11-133-1), to stay on the roster.
10. Do you know? The Patriots have 4 gamers with the final identify Jones, with quarterback Mac Jones, and cornerbacks Jonathan Jones, Jack Jones and Marcus Jones. It’s the second time in group historical past that the Patriots have had 4 gamers with the identical final identify; in 2000 it was defenders Ted Johnson, Olrick Johnson, Garrett Johnson and punter Lee Johnson.