How to Get Started with Video Marketing
A lot of people are intimidated by video marketing, but it’s actually a very simple and cost-effective way to grow your business. In this post, we’ll cover the basics on how to get started with video marketing for your blog or business!
The first step is to figure out what you want your videos to accomplish. Are you trying to increase brand awareness? Drive traffic back to your site? Sell products online? Once you know the objective of each specific video, then you can plan accordingly.
For example, if you’re trying to sell physical products then you’ll want to showcase the product and speak directly about its features. If you’re just trying to grow brand awareness then it might be enough simply to create a fun video that puts your business in front of potential customers.
Once you’ve figured out what type of videos you want for your particular marketing campaign or plan, you can start brainstorming some ideas! Think of innovative concepts that will make people stop scrolling on their feeds and watch all the way through (or at least share with their friends).
What Is Video Marketing and Why Should You Care?
Video marketing is a type of content marketing where you use video as the primary medium to grow your business or blog. It’s a great way to share information and connect with your audience in a different visual way, especially if you have a distinct point of view on a topic.
I’m sure that by now you’ve seen at least one Facebook ad from an influencer or brand that was just text over a static image. While those ads drive engagement for their pages, they’re not as effective as videos can be. In fact, “Facebook posts with images see 2.3X more engagement than those without” according to Buzzsumo. So, there’s definitely value in including some multimedia elements!
The Benefits of Video Marketing
In recent years, there’s been a huge increase in video marketing. And for good reason! It can lead to a whole slew of benefits for your business including:
- Improved SEO – Google has already announced that they’ll be using videos as a ranking factor in search results, so it’s important to have some type of visual element on every page of your website to help you rank organically.
- Brand awareness -Creating entertaining or informative videos will ensure that you stay top-of-mind with customers and inspire them to return to your site for more information.
- Sales conversions -Videos are great for showcasing your products and explaining how they will solve customer problems (and make their lives better). This will help drive Sales!
- Lead generation – If you want to give away something for free in exchange for an email address, making a quick video describing your offering is one of the easiest ways to get more leads.
- Audience engagement -Once you have people watching your videos, why not ask them to leave comments or subscribe so that they can be notified when new content is available? This will enable two-way conversations with your audience and give you valuable feedback on what’s working and what isn’t. Asking viewers questions can also increase their interest in your brand since it shows that there are real humans behind it.
How to Get Started with Video Marketing
If you’re looking to get started with video marketing but aren’t sure where to begin, don’t worry! There are a lot of different options when it comes to creating and publishing your videos. The simplest (and most accessible) option is to use Facebook Live. It’s easy to broadcast live on your page, which makes it perfect for businesses since the content can be structured around talking directly to an audience. You can also schedule pre-recorded videos or “videos that should live forever” using Facebook’s built-in scheduling tool — all the while tracking their performance — so you’ll never have an excuse not to post something!
Another great platform for hosting online videos is YouTube. This is especially good if you want more control over how your videos look and who can view them. To increase your visibility on YouTube, you should check out the Creator Playbook. It’s full of helpful tips for getting started with video marketing and starting or growing a YouTube channel.
Remember: The most important part of any video marketing campaign is to create content that matches your target audience’s interests and needs — then find a way to make it stand out from the rest!
Tips for Successful Video Marketing
Once you’ve started uploading your video content, there are a few other things that you can do to get more out of your marketing efforts:
- Promote it – If people don’t know that the videos exist, then they won’t be able to watch them. You should regularly promote your YouTube and Facebook accounts on other social media platforms and also through email marketing (but don’t forget about the importance of good copywriting when doing this). Make sure to add links in all of these places so that anyone who watches your videos will be able to access your site easily.
- Ask for feedback – This one can definitely come off as pushy but it’s definitely worth a shot! After someone finishes watching one of your videos, ask them to leave a comment about what they thought of it. Even if you’re not asking for a particular action from the audience, this will boost engagement on your videos and show another human side to your company.
- Measure success – Online video analytics can be very complicated but there are some things that you should definitely pay attention to. The first is whether or not people even watch your videos — make sure you have tracking set up so that you know how long someone watched the video and where they exited at (if they didn’t finish watching). You also want to see what types of videos generate the most views and compare these stats against others in order to figure out which does best. Don’t forget to share your success with others!
- Track where the views come from – If you want to make video marketing work for your business, you need to know how and where people are finding (and watching) your videos. Every time someone watches a video on YouTube or Facebook, there’s an option to “share” it with their friends and followers. It might not be immediately obvious but all of this activity is trackable — just look in the analytics and see which links and sources lead to more views than others.
Follow these tips and you’ll be well on your way towards creating great online video content. Making videos is easy when you have so many options at your fingertips — now it’s just up to you to get started!
Tools for making your videos stand out from the competition
There are a variety of tools that you can use to help out. These include:
- Screen recording software – This allows you to record what’s happening on your desktop screen— just look into software that fits your needs!
- Video editing programs -These web-based programs allow users from anywhere to create, edit, upload, and optimize their video content — no fancy editing skills necessary! Some examples include Wideo, Animoto, VEED, PowToon and more.
- Custom background music – You can’t go wrong with some good tunes to get viewers pumped up! Headspace offer royalty-free music which is perfect if you’re trying to keep costs down. Just make sure that you understand the copyright rules about using music that isn’t your own to buy.
- Closed Captioning Software– These will allow you to reach more audience, therefore, increasing engagement.
How to Use Social Media and Other Platforms to Promote Your Videos
- Give your video a push – One easy way to promote your videos is through paid advertising on social media — you can pay for Facebook and Twitter ads that link back to your content. Of course, you could also share them with friends and followers so that they can check it out too (but don’t spam people).
- Keep an eye on analytics – When someone watches one of your YouTube videos, you’ll be able to see the details when they return to their account. Most platforms will break down who watched and what else they looked at — use this information to cross-promote other videos in order to increase engagement rates. For instance, if someone just watched a cooking video then maybe they’re interested in some related clips — you could send them relevant content and lead them to another video.
- Get recognized – Marketers often make the mistake of thinking that simply having a ton of views is going to be enough. Unfortunately, if no one knows who you are then getting more views won’t matter as much because people won’t care about your brand. You need to show up in search results and on various platforms so that people can recognize your account — whether this is through links from other websites, social media shares or simple word-of-mouth from those who have watched your videos previously.
There’s a lot that goes into video marketing but following these steps should help you reach success with ease. Creating great videos isn’t as difficult as it sounds – just get started and you’ll soon be on your way to the top.